[TowerTalk] Fwd: Slightly OT Lightning Rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Slightly OT Lightning Rods
From: hanslg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:44:43 -0400
 I had a similar story: My house in Vermont was hit by lightning and burnt down
to ground.

When rebuilding the house, lightning protection was discussed (of course).

The result; I have built the protection out of 3/4" copper pipes (regular 3/4"
Cu water pipes schedule M).

I have a pipes along the roof ridge that splits at each end, go down along the
roof lines and then down to ground like a cage surrounding the house. I used 8'
Cu clad steel grounding rods for the grounding.

I have had two (what I know. There may have been more.) direct hits by
lightnings without any damage to the house. All surge protectors for our
telephones go destroyed the second time.

The lightning protection is not attached to the electric system in the house.
Don't know if it would benefit. The electric system has its own grounding rod.

I firmly believe that the 3/4" water pipe is superior to the commonly used
copper braid as most of the current from the strike goes on the surface of the
conductor and the Cu pipe has a flat surface while the braid has a (sort of)
corrugated surface. I believe the Cu pipe leads the current faster to ground.

I'm sure you will get more inputs.

73 de Hans-N2JFS