Re: [TowerTalk] "Faraday Shield" for Coax and Control Lines

To: "'jimlux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "'K1TTT'" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Faraday Shield" for Coax and Control Lines
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 11:30:01 -0400
> NESC rule:
> As I understand the rules, ALL facility grounds must be
> tied together with a minimum size conductor back to the
> service entrance.  Maybe someone can qualify this, but I
> don't 'think' there is a distance limit.  This is a power
> frequency safety issue, NOT a lightning safety design issue.

Failing to bond the power line entrance ground (safety ground),
tower grounds, "entry window", and telephone/satellite/cable
grounds together is a prescription for equipment damage.

USB interface chips are particularly sensitive to reverse
voltage.  If the station ground (tower/entry window) moved
even a few volts above the power (safety) ground - the
"ground pin" on the computer power supply - and the shield
connection on the USB cable is questionable you're likely
to lose a USB UART.

The same problem occurs with cable modems, telephone
modems, DSL modems, network switches/hubs/firewalls,
etc. if the telephone and cable grounds are not bonded
to the power ground.

Unless everything enters your home at ONE location, install
a perimeter ground system and bond everything to that.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV