[TowerTalk] Need advice on what antenna to install on a 17.5' roof tower

To: Tower Forum <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need advice on what antenna to install on a 17.5' roof tower
From: Jon Knodel <jknodel@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:14:44 -0700
Hello all,

I am getting ready to move to a new house and would like to put up my 17.5'
Glen Martin roof tower.  I'm thinking of putting up either a 3 element SteppIR
or 3 element Cubex quad (also much cheaper).  I'm also interested in the
Hexbeams, although I don't know much about them and have no experience with
them.  I figure total antenna height will be around 40'.

Would the quad's performance be affected with only about 12' from the end of
the spreaders to the roof (vertical distance)?  Which antenna of the three
would be best (a loaded question, I know....and I really don't want to start
the yagi vs. quad debate).  Is the Hexbeam comparable to a 3 element beam?  2
element beam?

Thanks for any help.

Jon N7XW