Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two

To: wc1m73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:37:22 -0400

Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> I agree with Steve's statement on binding. I have a middle thrust bearing
> and leave it loose during normal operation (i.e., the screws don't touch the
> mast.) I'm sure if I tightened the screws the mast would bind and I'd have
> to realign the whole drive train from the upper bearing to the rotor plate.
> No fun and not necessary.

Alignment of multiple bearings is not all that difficult as long as the
shaft is straight and the positioning of the bearing(s) are adjustable.
The accessory  shelves for my 45 G  let me  easily position the
bearings, or rotator depending on the bolt configuration.  Also I had to
open up the bolt holes for the rotator.  The most difficult is the top
one which you do first, then the rotator, and finally the mid bearings.

Sleeves are actually more difficult as they have to be mounted
perpendicular to the mast so getting the rotator plate flat is essential
and of course you only have a few thousands leeway getting the sleeve
perpendicular to it's base.

Using the proper size DOM I create the sleeve about 6" to 10" long and a
collar about 4" long and the same size  as the sleeve. The sleeve really
only needs to be about 4" long. The shorter sleeve makes the assembly
alignment a bit less critical.  The collar is mounted above the sleeve
and with large set screws can support the mast on top of the sleeve when
removing the rotator. Normally there'd be about 1/16th inch clearance.
Put zerks on the bearing, grease the snot out of it, and fasten a wrap
of silicone rubber...or just old inner tube around the collar and over
the joint to keep water out of the sleeve.  I prefer white Lithium
grease as it handles the sub zero temps well, or at least the ones we
see in Michigan. It also has a high enough viscosity that it won't melt
and run out on the hottest summer days.

This approach keeps the mast centered, makes removing the rotator easy
as well as working on the antennas.
Just remember to assemble it in a manner that will keep water out.  Get
water in a sleeve in freezing weather  and you'll need a "heat tape"
wrapped around it to warm it up before you can turn the antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)