Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof plastic enclosures

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproof plastic enclosures
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:10:18 -0400
Re: UV

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM, K1TTT <K1TTT@arrl.net> wrote:

> They are probably like the cheap plastic trash cans I have used as covers,
> year or so and they turn brittle, one touch and they fall apart.

When you install them, rough 'em up a bit with sandpaper, spray on a couple
coats of RustOleum plastic paint and they last well.

This was out in the elements for a little over two years and the plastic
itself is good as new:

http://n3ox.net/projects/sixtyvert/matchingcan_lg.jpg

The *paint* is faded, but not chipped or anything, and suspect it would make
it another year or two at least before the plastic started to break down
even without further maintenance.

Plus, it looks a little less like a trash can (or storage container:
http://n3ox.net/projects/stepperswitch/housing_lg.jpg) when you paint it.
Now I think a good investment in a real enclosure is not a bad idea, but
even then some paint can't hurt if it's plastic.

73
Dan