Re: [TowerTalk] Pea Gravel

To: jeff.freedman@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pea Gravel
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff:

My previous tower was 40 ft of Rohn 25.  When digging the base I used "river
rock" in the bottom for drainage rather than pea gravel per se.  The river
rock, which was available in 50 pound bags at Lowe's and Home Depot, lumber
yards, and other home improvement centers, was just easier to "handle" as far
as I was concerned.  Rather than having a sand and gravel company dump gravel
on my driveway, I just used the unopened bags of river rock instead and
wheelbarrowed them to the backyard.  If I needed a couple more bags as I was
working on the standard Rohn 25 plans book standard 3 foot base, it was no
problem to just go buy a couple more and the river rock I used was just
slightly larger pebbles than gravel would have been anyway.

The ham who bought my 4 sections of Rohn 25 five years later, wanted to make
sure that the straight 10 ft. sections were free of corrosion, as was the base
so we looked down each one with a falshlight and nary a bit of corrosion, even
inside the base legs. No standing water either.

When I built my current tower a 50 ft TriEx crank up in 1993, gravel in the
base wasn't needed at my new QTH so I just let it go and used a heavy duty
concrete mix, supposedly the same mix they use on interstate highway bridges.
The TriEx supplied base was made out of what "appeared" to be ribbed rebar.
I'm still using the same TriEx base and TriEx crank up tower some 16 years
later with nary a problem, of course I do perform a corrosion and bolt
tightness check a couple times a year as part of overall tower maintenance.

Tom, WW5L