Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole
From: Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:36:13 -0400
The folded dipole will have wider bandwidth than a simple dipole,
because of the wire separation (and maybe other reasons).  The big
advantage in the old days (and now if you want it) is that the
impedance is transformed 4X.  A nominal 70-ohm free space dipole
becomes 280 ohms - a good match for 300 ohm twin-lead, which used to
be available abundantly for TV work.

You can get even higher transformations, by using 3 wires or more.
(And wider bandwidths, too.)

I think the main question is what kind of feed line do you want to
use.  Folded dipoles are at least a little better for open wire lines,
keeping the SWR down.

73 Martin AA6E