Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA RESONANCE VS HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND - DATA POINTS?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA RESONANCE VS HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND - DATA POINTS?
From: "Richard W. Ehrhorn \(W0ID\)" <w4eto@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:07:29 -0400
>From 1992-1997 I had a 65' long 20M yagi at my W0ID QTH on the Continental
Divide at Breckenridge, CO. The 80' tower was tightly surrounded by ~55'
lodgepole and spruce trees, making "up-and-down" tuning totally
impracticable.

Designed the yagi with YO, using a gamma match with a motor-driven variable
capacitor... an air variable with a little 1 RPM, gearhead reversible d-c
motor from Grainger. Probably I was lucky, but after setting gamma
dimensions as best I could (via YO I think, but also used EZNEC for some
things ... not sure), we got the big beam at height on the tower. From the
shack, using a simple DPDT center-off reversing toggle, it was easy to dip
the in-shack VSWR right down to as close to 1:1 as I could read. Move from
one end of 20M to the other, adjusted again to near-perfect match in -
literally - 15 sec.

Used the same technique and structure on 80/75. First built an ~1/40 scale
model of the thing out of small brass tubing & solid cu wire for a
feasibility check. Extended the 3" OD 20M boom to 80+' with  1-1/4" tubing;
inserted calculated loading coils wound on 3" oak dowels, then 6063-T6 ends
to approx.100' overall to resonate @ ~3.75 MHz. Gamma feed of (~20' ?) #12
wire spaced ~12" from boom, its cap also tuned w/reversible motor. Easy to
get near-perfect match from the shack - all the way across 3.5-4.0 - by
tweaking the cap & watching the SWR meter. Seemed almost too easy.

On one occasion a VERY strange thing happened. Lightning struck a pine tree
~100-130' from the tower -- FLASHED and BANGED literally simultaneously in
the shack on opposite side of house. I located the pine; nearly all its bark
was in little pieces forming a circle at its base. Fired up the rig and
noted SWRs >2:1 on both 20M & 75/80M. Very surprised to discover no antenna
damage - small re-adjustment of 20M & 75M gamma caps restored near-perfect
VSWR. Concluded that d-c current induced in unshielded control cables
running about 175' underground and ~100' up inside the tower had actually
turned both motors a fraction of a revolution ... maybe 10 degrees or so.

A 100-year, 100 mph windstorm wiped out that 30-year-old boom - same storm
that literally logged 20,000 acres in Routt County (Steamboat Springs ski
area vicinity) ~100 miles north.

Planning to resuscitate the same matching system on a beam or two going up
soon here in the Blue Ridge foothills of Virginia. (Obviously it has nothing
to do with the antenna PATTERN - only the match.

73,

Dick  W4ETO (new call of the Blue Ridge Alpha Club) / W0ID