Re: [TowerTalk] How a folded dipole works

To: Towertalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How a folded dipole works
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:47:52 +0100
Martin,

Just one point of detail. If you construct a  folded dipole of wire
which has a low(ish) differential-mode characteristic impedance, and
which has a significant difference between its differential-mode and
common-mode Velocity Factors, the connection between the two wires has
to be somewhere other than at the ends. Take a look at my detailed
analysis here:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/folded_dipole/

This is not just a "theoretical distraction" - if you try to construct a
folded dipole with "Figure-8" Zip cord you'll find the shorting links
have to be way towards the centre of the antenna. The ARRL Antenna Book
used to address this issue, but they've removed it from the latest edition.

73,
Steve G3TXQ