Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:03:39 -0700
If I wanted the SWR bandwidth improvement of a folded dipole (nice
for 80/75M and 10M), I would simply build an ordinary dipole, but
making the conductors fatter by building a 2-wire or 3-wire dipole
with spacers. That would allow me to feed it with coax, which in
turn allows me to put a good coaxial ferrite choke up at the
feedpoint to kill noise pickup on the line. If it was a low dipole
for NVIS, I would use 50 ohm coax. If it was a high dipole, I would
use 75 ohm coax.

There are lots of easy ways to build spreaders. I buy 1/2-inch UV-
resistant PVC conduit, cut it into suitable lengths, and drill holes
through the pieces for the wires to pass through. Some folks use
wood dowels that they seal against moisture.

73,

Jim K9YC