[TowerTalk] 17m antenna decision

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 17m antenna decision
From: "John Hudson" <jd_hudson@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 06:02:28 -0500

As the bands are getting better (???) I am getting the fever for a antenna
project. Currently my setup is a TA-33 with 40M rotatable dipole add-on at
60 feet. Its 5 feet above my TX455 crankup/tilt over. I have approx 14 feet
of 2" thickwall mast above the top of the tower. Also is a 520' horizontal
loop that I currently use on 17m with so-so success. It does not hear too
well

What I "think" I would like is the 4 element 17m monobander that is in the
2008 ARRL Antenna Handbook.

The other options I have looked at include the 2 element 17m/2 element 12m
LB Cibek plans that are at
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/tis/info/pdf/9304036.pdf

While 17m would be my main focus, getting 12m would be great also

And another article that caught my eye is the TA-33 JR plans I read at
http://www.hamuniverse.com/17metermonobander.html

I actually have a old TA-33JR and a couple of TA-33's and a A3S laying
around that I have taken down for spare parts

Also in inventory is 18' of 2" boom. While the handbook 4 element 17m
monobander is on 20' boom I would add the remaining 2'.

The TA33 JR ant would be EASIEST to build, the LB Cebik 2 bander would give
me one more band and the 4 element monobander would be the largest of the
three

.         What are anyone's experience, tips and suggestions of these three
antennas.

.         Someone suggested I could add 12m to the 4 element 17m monobander.
Is that possible?

.         If the Cebik 2 bander works pretty well I might consider building
that antenna since it adds 12m

.         What about separation from the TA33/40m antenna? Is 10-14 feet
sufficient?

.         IF there would be no interaction between the current TA-33/40 and
the 17m antenna, should the TA-33/40m be on top or can it stay under the 17m
antenna or does it matter?

Also since I only have 2" boom material I have given thought that I may have
to use a truss support (for the 4 element monobander). I have no problem
dealing with that

Sorry for a long post and many questions but I'm trying to decide for a long
term antenna

Thanks in advance

73

John