Re: [TowerTalk] Philly installation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Philly installation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:19:43 -0400

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>

>> But the elongation/stretch of either is pretty much meaningless
>> except for precision positioning and even then takes place with
>> the initial tensioning. It's doubtful there is much elongation
>> associated with wind load unless the tower is overloaded and/or
>> the winds are very strong as in approaching the system limits.
>>

> Sorry, Pete

Wrong quote. That was me.
> - elongation/stretch makes a big difference.  Please
> review the tower studies by K7NV on his web site ...
>    http://k7nv.com/notebook/towerstudy/towerstudy1.html

I looked at it but...I have 5 sq ft 30' above the top of the tower, 7 sq
ft  15 ft above the top and about 6 (I've forgotten the area of the TH5)
at the top. The 5 and 7 sq foot at 15 and 30 will be multiplied so in
the  end I'm running over that 20 sq ft. I've been up there when the
wind was causing the top antennas to swing over 3'. You could feel it in
the top of the tower, but there was very little movement. Nothing
compared to what he comes up with and it has withstood 70 MPH gusts.
I've been up on towers that did move and 6 or 8" is definitely
noticeable and uncomfortable.  No, I've never been up there above 30 and
have no intention of doing so.
> Pay particular attention to "Configuration Variation #5" is which
> 3/16" and 1/4" EHS is replaced by HPTG6700 in a stock 100' tall
> Rohn 45 design with 20 sq ft. at the top.  Also note that spreading
> the 20 sq ft of windload down the tower results in greater stress
> at the base of the tower (due to elongation of the lower guys)
> than shown in the base case (all 20 sq ft at the top).

As I said above I a greater wind load and don't see that kind of movement.

73

Roger (K8RI)