[TowerTalk] tramming vs. "riding the rope"

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tramming vs. "riding the rope"
From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:08:06 -0500
Let me explain my wording first. Tramming to me is when you have a single
line and the antenna rides underneath the rope or cable. Riding the rope is
when the antenna rides on top of the rope.
 I finally had time to get my M2 6M-7JHV up on the top of 6 meter tower. I
have a 3 stack of 6M-7JHV's. One at 32,57 and 82 feet. I have them on
swinging gates. The top one is just on a rotor. I wanted to practice in
preparation of my 75/80 meter rotatable dipole install next year.
 I tried tramming but I just didn't feel very comfortable about tying the
rope 4-5 feet up the mast. I have 1026 DOM masting but that sure does put a
lot of side load on the mast. It also was kind of diffucult to find the
exact balance point. We'd try to pull it up and it would flop over and get
out of balance. Had 6 foot chokers on it with about 8 feet between the two.
 Finally we just gave up and went to what I did before here. Put 2 ropes up
to the top of the tower and put them about 15 feet apart at the
ground.Tightened them equal,attached  2 4 feet angle aluminuim to tilt the
elements up a little and tied pull ropes to them and 5 minutes later bolted
the antenna to the mast.
 This seems SO much easier to me,but yet many say tramming is easier. I
think if I was doing to do a lot more antenna/tower work I would make up
something like AB5K  ( i think) has. That seems so easy to me.
 I did learn one thing though. It seems to me the more vertical you put the
ropes to get the antenna up the less stress there is on them and the easier
it is to pull up.
 Now to finish hooking them up!
  Gregg  K9KL