Re: [TowerTalk] LightningProtectionDevicesPolyP, Response DAVIS RF Co.

To: "'Steve Davis -Davis RF Co.'" <sdavis@davisrf.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LightningProtectionDevicesPolyP, Response DAVIS RF Co.
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:57:11 -0500
Polyphaser has used gas tubes in their coax protection devices from day one.

The reason for the series capacitor is to allow the gas tube to fire before
enough energy is passed into the circuit following the protector. If there
was  no capacitor and the radio or cavity following the protector had a coil
in its circuit that provided a DC ground then the gas tube would not fire
until a large amount of energy passed into the coil and into the radio etc.

73
Gary  K4FMX