[TowerTalk] how much mast out of the top?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] how much mast out of the top?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:23:08 +0000 (GMT)
I have a couple of crank up towers.  I want to insert a 20' mast into the top
section.
I called US Tower since they sell 20' masts for this crank up (and other
models).  They
replied that they only rate the tower, not the load on the mast.  Thanks.

Anyhow, a concern is that with a decent amount of antenna load on the mast (at
the top)
is there a chance (I know, always a "chance")..a GOOD chance that the top of
the tower
section would get so torqued as to bend (the top of the tower section)?

My guts says NO because each telescoping section is held by only the top 3'
feet (or so) of
the next section down.  By the time you get to the bottom, that is a LOT of
bending torque
at the top of the bottom section...and it does fine.

I am not concerned about the mast bending...that is not the question.  I am
concerned about
"bending" the top of the inner-most (top) tower section.

The mast will be about 3' feet into the tower, the rest sticking out.  I want
to put an OB11-3
at the top (9 sq feet) and a shorty forty just above the top plate of the
tower.  So in a 70
mph wind, I guess this will be like 20x9 = 180# X the 17' of mast.  The 40 just
above the plate
should not add much additional torque at all, although it will add wind load
for the tower.  But hey, it's a crank up, so in winds, it cranks down.

Another way to look at this is just laying the tower over (horizontally) seeing
if I can handle
180# weight at the end of the mast without the top of the top tower section
getting wrecked.

Any comments?  Has anyone done the calculation or is anyone actually doing this?

Tower is TX472.

Thanks!

de Doug KR2Q