Re: [TowerTalk] Best choice for AC Service Entrance TVSS?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best choice for AC Service Entrance TVSS?
From: Josh Kelly <w0hc@bcarc.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:12:44 -0500
MOV devices don't really "age" so much as they wear out after diverting
multiple surges.  The Motorola R56 specs recommends MOV based devices for AC
service entrance protection for typical buildings.  For mission critical
applications (dispatch centers, data centers, etc) they recommend the
Silicon Avalanche Diode based devices. They don't recommend any type
of suppressor that uses gas discharge tubes.
At television broadcast towers we are using very large LEA International DS
Series protectors which utilize MOV, SAD, and LC filtering.  They seem to
work, but they are about 3 x 6 feet and weigh 500+ pounds.  It took a chain
hoist to get them into position to mount them to the wall.

I use one of their smaller panel mount protectors at home and at a couple of
smaller TV translator facilities.  Never had an issue with them.

73
Josh
W0HC