Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inc

To: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:21:54 -0400

Kevin Normoyle wrote:
> I would think a DC drill would give you the torque you want.
>
> I have/use a 24v Ridgid which I like for heavy duty drilling.
>
> spec says 615 in.lb for torque (I would think you wouldn't need more
> than 480 in.lbs or so ???
> http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/XLi-24-Volt-Cordless-Hammer-Drill/
>
> But then looking at AC drills, the Hitachi D13VG 1/2" is 0-600 RPM 9 Amp
> and specifies 651 in-lbs, which is pretty good compared to DC.
>
> http://www.acetoolonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HIT-D13VG&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=HitachiD13VG12Drill0600RPM90AMP&utm_content=HitachiD13VG12Drill0600RPM90AMP&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_base
>
> You can get the Hitachi for $150

I've burned one of the Hitachi's up too. (Nice drill BTW and I like it.
I'm treating my second one with a bit more care.)   600 to 700" pounds
sounds like a lot but 651 inch # is only 54 ft lb and I can hold that
from turning with one hand on the aux handle without working up a sweat.
> Some Amazon reviews that seem to validate it's torque
> http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-D13VG-Amp-2-Inch-Drill/product-reviews/B00005LEY8
> The reviews all seem good. Make sure D13VG though, there are other
> similar models.

I think you will find the newer 18 volt lithium powered have a bit more
torque although they look almost identical.
Drill motor (variable speed, variable torque, and hammer capability),
two Lithium batteries, Aux or torque handle, battery charger, and
carrying case for a bit over $200 at Lowes, Home Depot, and most other
hardware stores.

73

Roger (K8RI)