Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Tribanders at low heights

To: <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <dx-is@yahoogroups.com>, <okdxa@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Tribanders at low heights
From: Tim Kass <timkass@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:49:20 -0400
Hey John,

I have a HB 2 element yagi/moxon (very similar to a Force 12 C3S) at 30 feet up
that covers 20  - 10 meters and does a real nice job, much quieter than my
center fed 148 foot zepp at 60 feet running on top of trees and good gain over
it too.  An interesting comparison this weekend, a friend who lives about a
mile away has a 3 element tribander, Cushcraft A3S at 60 feet and just put up a
short tower (17 feet) and put a 3 element MACO 10 meter monoband beam on it.
Well the comparison to others in the area goes like this...his A3S is about 1
"S" unit better than my 2 element yagi-moxon and my yagi-moxon is about 2 "S"
units better than his 10 meter monoband...height is important and gives you
some significant forward gain..however...also to consider is the F/B figures
you get, and the much lower noise figure I get with the beam as compared to the
zepp... I would definitely consider the beam and you will be impressed...even a
2 element one is impressive..  you gain only about 1.
 5 dB with the 3rd element.  The old saying goes a long way with this
comparison too...you got to hear them to work them...beam definitely hears
better!!  I live in West Cincinnati in a small city lot, in a little valley
area...definitely up high...my 2 meter vertical at 20 feet sucks in any
direction.

73, Tim K8WBL

"Everything you want is inside you, All you fear is there as well"

> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:19:57 -0700
> From: aa5jg@yahoo.com
> To: towertalk@contesting.com; dx-is@yahoogroups.com; okdxa@mailman.qth.net
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Mini Tribanders at low heights
>
> After some antenna damage last year I am still contemplating what HF antenna
> to go with. I am now using a homebrew G5RV and have worked about 105
> countries on it this year. I know that on the higher bands it shows gain in
> some directions with nulls in other directions (like for K5D on 20m).
>
> The only beam I would be able to get up right now would be one of the smaller
> tribanders (like a MA5B or a Mosley Mini 32/33) at around 25 feet. I know
> that is below the real minimium height to get such an antenna to play on 20.
> So here is my question-is it really worth the expense and effort to put a
> mini antenna at that height? Would it show much improvement over a G5RV. I
> know the G5RV has nulls in some directions, but I could fill those in with a
> rotatable dipole or a vertical as well.
>
> 73s John AA5JG

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital
tv's.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=digital+tv's&form=MSHNCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHNCB_Vertical_Shopping_DigitalTVs_1x1