Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inc

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 06:29:13 -0700
Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Check out this bad boy:
>
> https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009092113220984&item=13-262-50-S&catname=powerTrans
>
> For way less money ($139) than a big Milwaukee drill, you can just use
> this gear reducer.  It will turn at a speed that will not
> overheat the winch and will not take much input torque being
> 50:1.  Output torque is over 1000 in lbs; if you need more than that
> your winch is overloaded.
>
> I am researching the shaft coupling problem now, before I decide
> to actually purchase this gadget.  I'll also need to design
> a stand to hold 50 lbs and resist the shaft torque.

if you can't just order a suitable coupler from McMaster-Carr, Grainger,
or King Bearing, the next step is to head on over to the auto tool
store.. You can usually cobble something up from various sockets (12 pt
work nice on square shafts) and some 1/2" or 3/8" square rod.  The
challenging end is often the motor shaft which is round.  Epoxy is your
friend.