[TowerTalk] Re: Open wire choke?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Open wire choke?
From: hanslg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:59:58 -0400
Hi Jim,

You are probably right. Especially as I am using a lot more than 25
feet of wire. (Remembered it wrong).

I found that is was way more efficient to add a bunch of ferrite beads
on the coax between the tuner and the radio, thereby isolate the
grounded radio from the somewhat balanced antenna.

The common topic of "balanced" antenna I know that it rarely exists a
true balanced antenna. Probably in some rare cases there all the
provisions are made you can get a "balanced" situation but most of the
time, such as with windom antennas you need to isolate the two feed
wires from the "rest of the world" as you can not reliably predict what
balance ratio you have.

The important thing is that all current coming in on one of the ladder
wires has its counter current on the other ladder wire, just as
important that the current in the center conductor in a coax has a
counter current on the shield (resulting in no current on the outside
of the shield. One way is to keep the tuner "un-grounded" by e.g.
putting a bunch of ferrite rings on the coax between the radio and the
tuner and NOT grounding the tuner.

I am recommending everybody to read your RFI-Ham paper. You have, for
sure, a lot more experience in this field than I.

73 de N2JFS - Hans