Re: [TowerTalk] Reply - KW3000 with 1/2 inch Drill Motor - Wrongassumpti

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reply - KW3000 with 1/2 inch Drill Motor - Wrongassumption in responses
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:05:27 -0400

Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> Not a variac, you'll loose torque.  You need an add-on pulse width
> modulation motor speed controller.
Even then, under a heavy load excessive heating is likely.
>  Not sure if they make them anymore
> since they are built into drills now.   You could build one yourself
> with an SCR and pot.
Two SCRs or a Triac of suficient current capability and a diac for
triggering.  The circuit is relatively simple to build, but it's noisy
and easily affected by spikes or another controller close by.
>   A light dimmer might work as a speed
> controller since it uses the PWM method.  Let us know what you
> come up with.

I doubt the light dimmer would have the current capability needed.  You
are basically getting down to the starting torque under load and that
takes a lot of current.

73

Roger (K8RI)