[TowerTalk] Stacking SteppIR and 6M7JHV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking SteppIR and 6M7JHV
From: "Michael M. Raskin" <rask1553@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:14:45 -0400
Guys - I need some advice on stacking on a 15' mast.  I will have
approximately 13" of usable mast and want to have a 3-element SteppIR with
the 40/30 adder (16' boom) at the bottom of the mast, but I also want to use
the M2 6M7JHV (30' 8" boom) above it.  The SteppIR will not interfere with
the 6M7 as I can make transparent by retracting the element.  If possible, I
would also like to use a M2 2M9 (14' 6" boom) 2M beam as well.  Should I put
the 6M beam on top and the 2M beam between the 6M beam and the SteppIR, or
should I put the 2M beam on top?  The one antenna that I don't want to
degrade the performance of is the 6M beam.  I can live with the SteppIR and
6M7 and ditch the 2M beam, if the three are too close for comfort.  I know
the SteppIR can do 6M and is a good performer with the extra passive
element, but it will never perform as well as the 6M7.  So my real question
is:  do I go with only the 6M7  about 10' above the SteppIR (need 3' above
6M7 for truss) or can I slip a 2M beam on the mast as well without degrading
6M performance?  And, if so, where is best to place the 2M beam?  I think I
already know the answer that I'll get:  use only the 6M and SteppIR, but I
just want to be sure.

Mike, W4UM