Re: [TowerTalk] Surge Suppressor Question

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Surge Suppressor Question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 01:04:16 -0500

Michael Goins wrote:
> Joe,
>
> I have everything arranged to disconnect outside the shack. Easiest to
> do to me and requires simply moving the antenna and feedlines, etc. to
> grounds.

I ground the coax shields at the top and bottom of the tower and again
where they come through the grounded bulkhead at the back of the house.
I have too many feed lines to disconnect and then ground for safety.
I'm redoing the system, but I did have 5 runs of LMR-400, 4 of RG-6 (2
to TV antennas and 2 to satellite dish) one rotator cable, one to the
SO-2R 6-pack, and two to remote antenna switches.  All antennas, except
the 160 half sloper are at DC ground.  That feed line like the others is
~228' with the jacket grounded in the 3 spots. There are now 3 120' runs
of CAT6 that run with the other cables through the basement and then
parallel and about 12' from the feed lines as it crosses the *ceiling*
of the garage.  They then go to the shop in shallow underground PVC
conduit and run within about 10' of the tower base.  Those lines tie to
the computers in the shop that are tied into the rigs out there.  That
shack is on a completely different electrical feed although all of the
grounds for both electrical systems tie together.

I rarely disconnect anything as the storm would be past by the time I
could get it all done.
The tower has now taken 17 direct and verified hits since it was
basically finished in the late summer of 2001. That's excluding wire
antennas.

There's that saying about going indoors when the lightning is close
enough to hear the thunder. I take the same approach in handling
conductors that go to a tower that sticks up about 130' above the
surrounding territory.   I was out flying at 5000' out in bright sun
when a lightning bolt came out of an isolated, towering cumulus about
12-15 miles away. That bolt came directly at us and then curved down to
hit the ground about 2 miles from us.  That strike was well over 10
miles from the base of the storm.

All systems are pretty much tied together. Phone, cable, power,
satellite, regular TV, and computers run to many pieces of common
equipment yet no damage from direct hits... Well, with the exception
that the fittings on top of the tower are pretty well etched.  Prior to
the elaborate ground system, early on in the construction I lost an
antenna, several feed lines, one radio due to water running out of the
9913 (Lightning removed every bit of tape and coax seal at the top of
the tower), and one computer.  With the old 90' tower, I lost one
repeater antenna and one 2-meter transceiver.(Near as I can recollect.)

Now with only one installation that is nothing more than anecdotal
evidence, but to me it's pretty compelling. <:-))
The next strike might take out the whole system.

73

Roger (K8RI)