Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Mast

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Mast
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:34:51 -0800
Dave:

The important number is the yield stress not the tensile
stress. 6061-T6 and the stainless, most likely 304 or even
316, have about the same yield of 36,000 psi plus or minus.
This is the threshold stress where the behavior of the
material changes from elastic to plastic. This mean if want
the material to rebound to initial position after loading you
need to keep the max stress below yield. In the case of your
masting material they will both support about the same load
with equal stresses.

The kicker is the Modulus of Elasticity,E, which for the
stainless, like other steels, is around 29,000,000 psi. The E
for aluminum is around 10,000,000 psi. This means for the same
section dimensions and load the aluminum will deflect 3 time
more than the steel. My money for durability is on the
stainless.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.