Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Z Calculator

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Z Calculator
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 07:17:29 -0800
Paul Christensen wrote:
> I am looking for any type of computational tool that will allow me to
> quickly look at the terminal Z of a dipole in free space where I can change
> its wavelength from 0.25 to say...approximately 7 wavelengths.
>
> Anything like that available without getting into antenna modeling software?

Do you need an equation? or a table lookup? or a callable subroutine?

If you have matlab, or can translate matlab into your language of
choice, Orfanidis's on-line electromagnetics text book has some matlab
procedures that will give you feedpoint Z of arbitrary dipoles, using
King's approximation.  You give length and diameter, and it gives you Z.

Somewhere around I have a excel spreadsheet with Z for 0.1 to 2.5
wavelengths of a 10 meter long dipole using 1mm diameter conductors in
steps of 0.05 wavelength. I could regenerate it if needed for a longer
range or finer steps.