Re: [TowerTalk] winch handle free spin

To: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] winch handle free spin
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:10:42 -0800
The first LM470 tilt fixture that came with the tower was purchased during
the short time
that First Call was handling the selling for Paragon (If I remember
correctly) and it had a k-1550.  It was very hard to tilt the tower up even
without any antennas mounted.  Also on lowering the tower its screeching
could be heard for miles!  I didn't change the cabling as directed to take
advantage of the motor weight at the butt end of the tower because there was
no pulley advantage in their setup.  I did a rough stress calculation and
determined that the k-1550 was being used exceeding its specification.  I
then replaced the k-1550 with the k-2550 and at the same time added two more
pulleys and replaced the cable with a longer one.  One pulley at the tower
and the other new pulley at the top of the tilt fixture. The US tower HDX572
uses four pulleys to tilt the tower,  My setup is now easy to crank but
takes longer so I use a drill motor.