Re: [TowerTalk] Guying 3 inch Irrigation Pipe

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying 3 inch Irrigation Pipe
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:48:15 -0800
David Gilbert wrote:

> 3 inch ABS fits very nicely over 3 inch irrigation tubing, and Home
> Depot sells black "plastic" toilet flanges that will fit over the 3 inch
> ABS.  The toilet flanges are super tough and already have four holes in
> them for fastening to a floor.  Glue the toilet flange to a few inches
> of the 3 inch ABS and then slide the assembly over the irrigation
> tubing.  Drill three or four holes through both the ABS and the
> irrigation tubing for self tapping screws to secure the sleeve in place.
>
> In my opinion, one set of guys about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up each
> vertical should be sufficient for everything short of a hurricane or
> tornado.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

I've done this before, however, there are a few issues.  3 inch ABS
or PVC pipe may or may not fit "nicely" over 3 inch irrigation tubing.
It depends on the tolerances of the pipe.  I have seen pipe that would
not slip over the irrigation tubing at all, even with a hammer.  I have
also seen pipe that is loose as a goose.  This is why I slit the pipe
and then clamp it with a hose clamp.  The toilet flange has 4 holes,
however they are somewhat offset from 90 degrees spacing, but it will
sort of work.  Also, the holes are made for countersunk screws and have
sharp inside edges that are hard on the rope.

BTW, on 4 inch irrigation tubing, I have seen exactly 1 piece of 4 inch
PVC or ABS pipe that would slip over the irrigation tubing.  Every other
schedule 40 pipe I've tried has been too tight.  You need to use
4 inch class 200 well casing.  That will easily slip over 4 inch
irrigation tubing because it is designed to slip over 4 inch pumps.

Rick N6RK