[TowerTalk] Water in Coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Water in Coax
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:02:15 -0800 (PST)
I have a 300' run of LMR400 going up a tower - at the top are a 900MHz
bi-directional amplifier and antenna. The system stopped working properly a
while ago, and I eventually (duh) found that the problem was water in the coax.
There was a joint at the 220' level which I initially suspected, but decided to
change the whole run to a single length of cable and this was done last
Saturday. Everything now works fine again.

I was interested to see what had caused the problem and proceeded to cut 20'
pieces off the cable until I saw a nice shiny outer conductor. This happened at
about 100' - proving (I think) that the problem was below that point. I then
inspected each 20' length very carefully and could not find any cut or defect
in the jacket!

Am I right in thinking that if water has penetrated I will see corrosion of the
outer conductor? Or could just a flow of water not cause corrosion? Which would
mean that the failure point could be above the corroded section. (Although I
have looked at the whole 300' I have not inspected the top part to the same
extent as the lower section.) I am sure that capillary action could allow water
to rise up the cable - anybody know how far this could happen?

The cable is a cheap(er) rip-off type rather than genuine. It is conceivable
that the sheath is permeable - but if that is so it would only have to be the
lower part - which seems terribly unlikely. And it sure looks and feels like
polyethelene.

The problem happened over a long period (more than a year) so I guess it would
only need a very small hole - but if there is one I can't find it.

I am very puzzled. Can anyone enlighten me?

73 Roger
VE3ZI