Re: [TowerTalk] Winch for LM70 - Tiltover ..??

To: "Michael Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch for LM70 - Tiltover ..??
From: "F.R. Ashley" <gdadx2@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:46:19 -0500
Hi all,

Great advice here.  A year or so ago I checked into a replacement wince for
my old Tow-Tec on my Hygain HG55 crank up tower.  I quickly found out there
is a great difference between a WINCH and a HOIST.    Most winches are NOT
designed to hold anything up, at least for long.   Winches PULL,  hoists
LIFT (and hold).   I would not trust any of the winches designed for
mounting on the front of a jeep, etc.. they are for PULLING only!
Also, make dang sure your winch or hoist will not FREE SPOOL!   That is a
disaster in the making.  I'd also carefully check its braking capability and
limits.
I also checked with US Towers and they say theirs are not winches or hoists,
but "electric motor drives".

73 Buddy WB4M