Re: [TowerTalk] Taper element sections

To: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>, "Tommy" <aldermant@windstream.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Taper element sections
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:14:07 -0500
Tom:

     I agree with Gene (a sturdy name, BTW) in that you ought to use
Penetrox or similar material when joining the various taper sections.
However, let me add a bit to it:

o   Use Scotchbrite pads and not steel wool to clean the surfaces.  The
steel wool will leave bits of - steel - on the aluminum surface which could
corrode (dissimlar metals in contact) over the years and reduce the
conductivity of the joint.

o   Don't lather the Penetrox on the joint.  Use one Scotchbrite pad to
clean the surfaces and another clean pad to apply a thin coating onto the
materials.  Once you assemble the joints there should be no oozing of
Penetrox from within.  If there is, wipe it off and use the second
Scotchbrite pad again, this time without adding more Penetrox.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F