Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tubing

To: Larry <w6nws@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tubing
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:22:17 -0500
When buying six foot sections from TT, you have to buy and pay for an 8'
section and have it cut down to six feet.  You also have to pay a
cutting charge.  With ingenuity, you might find a use for the extra two
feet.

I thought I had found a lower cost alternative in Hy-Gain this summer.
They will ship 8' sections via UPS.  After given a price that I thought
was reasonable for each section,  I ordered five 8' sections.  The
problem was that each section was shipped separately in its own box.
Therefore, I paid five separate shipping charges.  When I called Hy-Gain
to complain and ask why they didn't ship all five pieces in one
container, I was told that UPS required each piece to be packaged
separately.  I never called UPS to find out if that was indeed the
case.  I don't see why they should have to be packaged separately as
long as the package meets the maximum weight requirements.

Even though I live in farm country, getting aluminum irrigation tubing
locally is a real problem.  Apparently, everyone has gone to PVC.  When
this issue came up earlier this year on the reflector, some people
suggested alternatives that I hadn't heard of before.  I've never
followed up on any of them.

73, Joe
K2XX