Re: [TowerTalk] Dielectrically lenghtening the boom

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dielectrically lenghtening the boom
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:15:39 -0500

My bad, I was maybe thinking about VF < 1.0.
I meant dielectric constant > 1.0 instead of <1.0.

Back to the shortened boom Yagi discussion, Dan said something that  I will put
in my words: That the wave propagating inside a coax "sees" the space contained
between the inner conductor and the shield filled with the dielectric material.

What if a tube with a few wavelenghts section, like a big waveguide (circular,
rectangular or elliptical section), is filled with dielectric material and the
antenna is placed exactly centered along the axis of the tube. I guess that
mathematically there is a mínimum lenght from where the modeling can
approximate the behavior of the antena as if it were in a infinite lenght
medium. Would then the antenna "see" that is contained in an "infinite" block
of material?

Of course this would not be practical on HF or even VHF. It's just for the sake
of learning.

David
HK1A
EC5KXA