Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Arrestor Question

To: "Jerry" <grf@uneedspeed.net>, "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Arrestor Question
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 10:42:20 -0500
Jerry:

     My coax switching arrangement is identical to yours, i.e., the switch
is at the tower and the coax runs enter through a steel box.  I chose to
install arrestors at each coax where it enters this box, before it connects
to the switch.  In this way I have protected all my incoming coax lines
BEFORE they hit the switch.  I have thus also protected the switch in case a
strike hits while an antenna is connected to it.

     At the shack end I have no additional protectors.  The underground run
to the tower is fifty feet and I cannot convince myself that sufficient
lightning energy will be coupled to the underground coax's center conductor
to be of concern.  (I also ground the coax shields at a SPG panel outside
the shack.)  Others on Towertalk will disagree, saying that a ground strike
near my coax run COULD induce energy INSIDE the coax, where another arrestor
would be helpful at the shack end.  You decide for yourself whether this
belts-and-suspenders approach is for you.

     If you follow my approach, you ought to make sure that you have an
adequate lightning ground system protecting your tower and that you provide
a positive connection to it from within the steel box the switch is in.
Don't rely on mounting hardware to provide this connection through the tower
steel; it could corrode and there goes your ground connection.  I left
excess length on my tower leg ground wires so I could extend at least one
into the box.  I grounded it to the back of the inside of the box with
appropriate hardware.  I ran this wire into the box through a plastic
insulating that I filled with electrician's putty once the wire entered it.
I suppose you could ground the wire adequately to the exterior of the steel
box as well, but I preferred to bring it inside where it would come into
contact with the steel box in an environment protected from direct rainfall.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F