Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Talk Admin

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Talk Admin
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:33 -0500

Jim Brown wrote:

> There are conflicting philosophies with respect to "reply to"
> settings for a list. The one that TT uses hopes that replies that
> don't need to go to all 1,000 members can go only to the individual
> who asked a question. The other setting, which replies by default to
> the list, assumes that every list member should be interested in
> every response. I can see virtue in either setting.

AFAIK, the Mailman list software (used by Towertalk, CQ-Contest, and
many other lists) defaults to this setting, while other packages default
the other way. Of the dozen or so lists I subscribe to, it's split
approx. 50-50, so I've gotten into the habit of actually checking the
To: field before I hit send. In fact, sometimes I'll actually proofread
my post before I send it...such a concept!

Steve K8LX