Re: [TowerTalk] DX Eng NCC-1 Receive Antenna Phasing Controller

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Eng NCC-1 Receive Antenna Phasing Controller
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:27:45 -0600
Hello Dick,

We have used the DX Eng NCC-1 at K3LR for several years on 160 meters. It
works great.

It is hard to say which antennas work best with it because it varies.

The low dipole (15 ft high) responds well to local noise and used with the
NCC-1 can result in dramatic phasing noise reduction.

A common combination that we use is the vertical Yagi (our TX array)
combined with the DX Engineering receive 4 square array (using K1LT 23 ft
vertical elements). We find a DX station in the target area (such as Europe)
use the NCC-1 controls (phase and amplitude) to null him, then flip the
NCC-1 180 degrees - resulting in being on the "peak" for these two antennas
- phased together.

Sometimes the difference with and without the NCC-1 is the difference
between hearing someone and not at all.

73!
Tim K3LR