Re: [TowerTalk] stacked LPDA's

To: w2lu <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stacked LPDA's
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:25:10 -0500
Gene,

The early logs were a Collins Radio design, and used a split boom/tilt system,
but it wasn't really stacked.  The alternate dipole elements apparently were on
the upper and
lower booms.   I don't pretend to understand how that system worked.   No
intuition
at all on the topic, except that the booms were transmission lines, and some
sort of
progressive phasing resulted from the relationship.

But what I was talking about kind of LOOKED like that, just that the alternate
dipole elements
are fed in the Tennadyne design from alternate sides of a 200 ohm transmission
line, which is
formed by the spaced rectangular boom tubes.   ( It's a really neat system, btw)

I think the TV logs were a derivative of the Collins design.

W1KW's call is now owned by DK8KW, who lives near Houston, TX.   So details of
that early log are likely lost.

N2EA/ Jim