Re: [TowerTalk] steppir v. lpda

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steppir v. lpda
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:24:07 -0500
This topic is like eating potato chips.

Private communication from N2TK reveals that SteppIR had a supply problem with
Fernco boots, and used Mission for a while.   The Mission boots have a UV
degradation
problem.    My Fernco boots, now.... 10 years old... are just fine.

On the topic of stepper motor fails,  I would tend to believe that the wiring
TO the motor
was at fault, and not the motor.   The weak spot in this antenna is the
termination barrier
strips for the control cable, in my view.    It's subject to variability in
installation technique.
Statistically, that's much more likely than having a stepper motor fail.

-0-

On the topic of 200 ohm feedline,  the Tennadyne design uses a 200 ohm feedline
BOOM,
fabricated from square tube and spacers.   If there is a weak spot in the
design, it lies in
locating the balun at the nose of the boom, and routing the coax cable back
along the lower
limb of that feedline, unbalancing it, and coupling rf into the coax shield.

I fixed that with ferrite chokes at the mast-boom plate on mine.

-0-

n2ea