Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:36:42 -0500
Hi Steve -
I'm replying just to you because much of the gang may be tired of reading
this thread. I'm glad to hear you're thinking/planing to do an LP before
long. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. A few notes on mine -
Frequency  7-60 MHz
Tau ..835
Sigma  .042
Boom 46 feet - 4" heavy wall irrigation tubing  30' +16'  with overhead guys
from mast to 4'x4" channels .
15 elements
Longest element 46 feet - last three have linear loading from 10 feet out
small inductive short on low freq end.
Stretched the spacing to the longest element in  hopes of picking up some
parasitic reflector action on 40 but still only have about 10 db on 40. It
probably could be improved with some fine tuning.
Boom feeder is basically 500 ohms but tapered it a bit to account for the
change in element diameter/freq ratio.
Feed point designed to be 200 ohms with 4:1 balun back at the mast.
Turned with small Prop Pitch motor with sylsens.
Used AO for design of everything including linear loading and boom feeder.
Can be seen on QRZ.com

Because of the compromise Tau and Sigma the SWR is not really good but under
3:1. Amazing how close the low freq cut off came out . 7.03 about 2.5:1,7.0
about 4:1, 6.9 about 20:1. Fortunately I'm not a CW operator, although I'm
sure it would operate ok down at the band edge.  By virtue of being at 100
feet, being fairly efficient and having at least some gain it works fairly
well  on 40. Works the Aians at sunrise in the contests and is very
competitive on 20. - with a SINGLE 8877 homemade amp.

I'm currently going thru some pain with the rotator. The Radio Shack diode
bridge I was using to supply DC to the PPM shorted and burned out the
transformer. This was all at the top of the tower. I'm trying to cut back on
the tower climbing (now almost 75) . I am therefore moving the power supply
down to the base of the tower and redoing the sylsen setup, since I found a
good commercial gear to match up with the bevel gear on the PPM.  At any
rate if you haven't guessed, I'm very happy with the LP.
Re stacking- I inherited a TH-6DX a number of years ago after our big ice
storm. I totally rebuilt it, welded up a side gate and mounted it at about
45 feet on the tower. Recognizing that the effective phase center on the LP
changes with freq I buildt a variable "phase" box with 2,4,and 8 foot pieces
of coax selectable with relays as 2-14 feet. I find little advantage in
using the "stack". If the phasing is really wrong I find a notch that will
nock signal down 10-20 db, but the peak is very broad and scarsely
measurable given QSB. In contests however it's very nice just pointing the
TH-6 at the Carib and letting the LP do the rest of the work. For the Carib,
the TH-6 at 45 feet is literally about as good as the LP at 100. Down to VP8
of course is a different story.

My conclusion is that a pair of LP's (about 20 elements each on 50 foot
booms)  on a 100 foot tower with tipped booms giving something like halfwave
stacking for 10-20 meters would be an absolute killer I think W1KW had
something .like that back in the 90's, but not quite that long on the booms.

I guss that's more than enough. Good luck with your's. If you're not too
busy working dx after it's up you might let me, or all of us, know how you
made out.
73's    Gene / W2LU