Re: [TowerTalk] "Roll your own" tower/mast.

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Roll your own" tower/mast.
From: "John Lemay" <john@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:28:34 -0000
Hello again

John, you haven't mentioned (unless I missed it) what you want to put on top
of these masts. However, since you have considered not only lattice masts
but also poles and timber construction, I'm thinking the head load may not
be large.

You could "roll your own" using tubular sections. Take a look at Aluminium
Warehouse. Their prices are very competitive and tube up to 5 inch diameter
is available in 5m lengths. You would need to find someone with a lathe to
turn up some coupling pieces, which could also form the guy attachment
points. By stepping down a diameter for each ascending length you could for
example have a mast 4 inches diameter at the base and 2 inches diameter at
the top, which would provide the strength where you need it and save weight
and windage where you don't.

Use the gin pole method to raise it.

Looks like you should be able to get two suitable masts like this for les
than £1k.

Regards

John G4ZTR