Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:05:18 -0500
All this talk about gong to extremes for lowest loss is perhaps mis-directed...

To me, it boils down to db/$. Where can you put your (available) funds to best
use in your shack? Certainly if coax loss is your lowest cost opportunity for
improvement, you should go for it. (Recall the coax loss applies in both
directions, tx and rx).

On the other hand, if you can improve station performance by more dbs for the
same cost somewhere else, such as better antennas, etc, then go for that before
going for super-low-loss coax.

Sometimes, the cost can be low, as in the case where you can get good used
hardline from a cable company. In this case, it's still useful to measure db
accurately so you know you got a good piece!

It may only be 0.8 db, but I'd still rather be the guy in control of the DX
receiver's AGC, reducing gain for all my competition!

Lastly, whether you spend money on coax, antennas, amps, or anything else ham
related, it is up to you to be personally responsible for the spending of
discretionary funds for ham radio use...

Tony, K1KP