Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frequent crankup coax recommendation
From: "Perry - K4PWO" <k4pwo@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:38:48 -0600
For repeatable bends, I believe it is more like a 6" minimum radius.  Most
LMR type cables use a copper flashed aluminum inner conductor.  Aluminum
will work harden and stress crack from repeat bending so you want the radius
as large as you can get it.  Past posters have mentioned using 30+ gal.
trash cans as the "receiver" for the coax coils when the tower is lowered.
I would think that would be a large enough radius... YMMV.  I've never used
the direct burial stuff but if it's a flooded cable, it may be stiffer than
normal LMR400 - which is already fairly stiff.  If you are familiar with
RG-213, I would estimate that you have twice the "stand out" distance (how
far a section of cable can be held horizontal with only one end supported)
with LMR400.

73 de Perry - K4PWO