[TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:59:14 -0500
Just getting ready to install some a new beam and  coax plus N style
male connectors on a new tower.  It's been awhile since I last used one
(N style) and have reviewed via the WEB and the ARRL handbook
recommended installation methods and find two different methods with
respect to the barrel and shield connection.

The barrel I am referring to is the small piece were the shield is
folded back over and then compressed and held in place by a O-ring,
washer and screw in clamp.

The ARRL handbook does not call for any solder of the shield to the
barrel peace but on one ham web sites recommends that the shield be
soldered to the barrel insert piece and then assembled the same way as
the non soldered.  If I remember and it has been some time since I used
N type but I believe I did not solder the shield but relied on the
compression and clamp fittings to make good contact from the shield to
the N fitting.

Would appreciate your opinion, to SOLDER or NOT to SOLDER.

73 de
Ron W4LDE