[TowerTalk] HAWKS AND OTHER BIRDS ON TOWERS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HAWKS AND OTHER BIRDS ON TOWERS
From: Cal Zethmayr <w4gmh@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:44:50 -0600
I'll be putting up a 100' of Rohn 45G later this spring and I am surrounded by
60-85' tall oak and pine trees. I.Don't see hawks very often BUT
I am intrigued by the suggestion of using fishing line in various formations
above the beams to discourage birds flying in and settin' down for a while.
I've seen freinds do this at their homes near the coast, or even some
businesses use this method to keep seagulls away.

Does anyone have any idea of the effect on tuning of a beam when the fishing
lines get wet with rain or dew? I suppose one could use some small insulators
between the fishing line and the metal of the boom or elements?

Cal Zethmayr
W4GMH
Crestview, Florida