Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:32:45 -0400

k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I went in search of 2 Inch O.D. pipe
> on the internet!!

Actually it comes a wide variety of sizes, weights, and s trengths such
as schedule 40 and 80.  Then there is structural steel tubing.

Then there is Drawn Over Mandrel  or DOM which is seamless and comes in
a wide variety of wall thicknesses. It is also 3 to 4 times the cost of
the same size pipe.

I've used structural steel which is a schedule 40 pipe with welded seam,
but this is not for carrying liquids or gases. Even though it has a
welded seam it is very strong.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm is all on 2"
structural steel.  It's been through quite a few 70 mph plus winds
without taking a bend, but those 144 and 440 antennas on the cross boom
swing around like a bluegill rod that just tied into a BIG Bass. So I am
going to 2" DOM and probably 1/8" wall. I may have to go to 1/4" wall,
but I've been using schedule 40 so that shouldn't be a problem.  2" with
1/4" wall is HEAVY!  Even DOM is still steel. If you are thinking of a
larger antenna system, then you might want to consider Chrome Moly steel
tube which adds a new meaning to the word, "pricey". <:-)) BUT if you
need it, it becomes a good investment and saving money on anything less
is a false economy.

What you should use and what you can safely get away with are often two
different things depending on what you are going to put on the mast and
how high above the top of the tower. Just be sure to err on the strong side.

> Guess what?  I can't find any!!!!
>
> The outside diameter of pipe is
> either 1.9" O.D. for 1.5 inch pipe or
> 2.375" O.D. for 2 inch pipe!!!

And this is a problem, why?  One tenth of an inch should make little
difference for thrust bearings, antenna to mast clamps, and rotator
clamps. The rotator I have would take either of those sizes with no
modification.
> Nothing in between....
>
> What am I missing??
Information, but others have already covered that.<:-))

What are you going to put on this thing?

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)