Re: [TowerTalk] Trouble mounting T-2X

To: w4lde@numail.org, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trouble mounting T-2X
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:39:29 -0400

#1 question. Are you sure the thread size and count is the proper one?
(IE 5/16 bolt IIRC and NF or NC thread) Are you sure the threads in the
rotator body are proper and complete. As N6FD questioned, are you sure
there are no shavings left in there. Double check to verify what the
bolt size and number of threads *should* be.  If necessary find some one
with a thread gage and make sure what you have is what you want/

If the bolt threads and body holes  are the same size (and count, or
threads per inch) the bolts should turn in freely, all the way by hand.

It's not uncommon to find bolts with threads that are not full depth, or
with the wrong threads per inch even when the bolts are the proper
diameter and holes with only partial threads or threads that only go
part way through. In the old housing the holes went all the way through
with full threads.  There are both National Fine and National coarse
threads.

If necessary you may need to run a finishing tap into the threaded holes
in the base of the rotator. This is something that should be done with
the rotator disassembled (you don't want metal shavings running around
in there)  and only as a last resort after you have proven the threads
in the body have not been cut to full depth.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

> My helper (brother) did notice that the rotor body bolt holes seemed a
> little out of the pattern and very close to one edge, however, when
> aligning the body to the rotor plate they look almost dead on.  So we
> proceeded, then the trouble started.
>
> The mounting bolts turned in hand tight about a 1/4 of the way in, not
> free at all and got to the point (1/4 way) that we decided to use my
> small ratchet set.
>
> Not even 1/2 way in the bolts started to seize and we were very
> reluctant to proceed.  I checked the depth of the holes in the body and
> they are free in equal to the length of the bolts.
>
> We backed out the bolts and lowered the rotor to the ground and again
> tired to insert and screw in the bolts while free of any mounting plate
> with the same results.
The difference between NF and NC with 5/16 bolts is enough you should
only be able to get a couple threads turned in before they'd bind.  Now
if one set of threads is metric and the other American then  it would be
possible to have a much closer match.

When it comes to rethreading and particularly in cast Aluminum it's very
easy to end up with too little thread left to have much if any holding
strength.
>   It almost seems like the threads are not right
> for the mounting bolts or the bolts are two long
The bolts should screw all the way into the casting unless they've
changed the design.