Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rods with jack hammer drill

To: navydude1962@yahoo.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rods with jack hammer drill
From: Wangki Radio <wr936am@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:54:33 +0800
Hi Patrick

How deep is enough to protect against lightning damage ? It all depends on
the ground conductivity - and soil tests. But in doubt go as deep as you
can.

Can I suggest you do some reading here:
http://www.copper.org/applications/electrical/pq/casestudy/nebraska.html
The case studies and methods of solving are what we based our own grounding
of our 70 metre high  936 Khz AM mast on.

We are located at Fitzroy Crossing Western Australia 260km inland from Derby
Western Australia and we get massive lightning storms. Since I have
been station manager it has been my aim to correct and solve our equipment
losses from lightning damage. In august last year we knew the Wet Season
was fast approaching and we contracted a drilling rig to drill 3x to below
20 metres ( 60 feet ) holes.   We have a 20 metre shaft about 1 metre from
the AM mast GEM  ( Ground Enhancing Material  made by Erico ) was poured as
a liquid paste ( 7 bags ) into the first hole. We then lowered section by
section of copper rod and attached with 2 inch copper strap the rod to the
mast. Another 26 metre hole located close to the hut has also been recently
completed.

Since installing we have had no equipment breakdowns - deep grounding is
excellent insurance if you live in lightning prone areas ( don't we all !! )
Hope this helps   /    Chris