Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registr

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registration
From: Neil & Heather <neil.goodell@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:40:18 -0400
On 4/2/2010 6:26 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
> I'm moving to a new site that is not too far from NAS Whidbey Island.  I
> tried our coordinates and altitudes with the TOWAIR web page
>

> http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp
>

> and fed in my coordinates.  My property is high-bank waterfront property,
> about 250' above sea level.  I put in feet, 250 AMSL, and various tower
> heights.
>

> At 6 meters of tower height, I don't need to register.  At 7 meters of tower
> I'm suddenly 22 meters too high for the distance from Whidbey NAS.  Many of
> the trees on my property are over 70'. I was planning a tower in the
> neighborhood of 70 feet plus a 10 foot mast extension.   We do get aircraft
> overhead from time to time.
>

> For those of you "near" an airport, what's involved in the registration with
> the FCC and FAA?  Is this a big deal?  I presume I should have this in hand
> before I apply for the tower permit.  Can I register a tower that doesn't
> yet exist?   Am I going to need lights on a 70' tower?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dick, K6KR

> 02:32:00

Dick..

you need to file FAA form 7460-1, OE/AAA

go to this link:https:  //oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/portal.jsp

You can now file online...you will have to register with the FAA
its very simple...don't forget your password.
The only critical part is you must be Exact ! with your coordinates...
and your ASL....
It took about 5 weeks for the FAA to do my study...came back
with a positive of being able to raise a 75' tower.
Well worth the effort....
Good luck...

73
Neil