[TowerTalk] Can motorized crank up's be manually lowered...when power is

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Can motorized crank up's be manually lowered...when power is out ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 06:33:43 -0700
We  just went through a big wind storm all last night [ thursday night/fri
morning].   The  commercial  AC power flickered and dimmed
a few times.  It eventually died  for 2 hrs.

Ok,  what happens  with the  HDX-689... when it's fully extended, and els all
broadside to the wind.. and power goes off ??

Can these things  be  brought down manually .. safely.... by another method ??
 [ hand winch, cordless drill, etc]

I'm seriously thinking of  installing a  wireless wind speed indicator on top
of the new tower.

I can just see myself in the basement, with headphones on, totally oblivious to
the wind outside.    The usual deal is, when  winds hit  35-50 mph,
trees  come down across the power lines  by the nearby park... and  there goes
the power  for 2-4 hrs.  Meanwhile the storm has not hit it's  peak ..yet.
Local wx  forecasts  are  usually accurate.. when they predict lousy wx.

Plan B  was    either  add UPS power.. or  a  gen set.    I don't have a clue
what the start up current on the 1 hp motor is.. when  retracting a HDX-689.
It has  positive pull down featrure,  but it's  still gravity that's  doing
most of the work.   A  UPS  that could provide  120 vac  @  20A  CCS   for  4
mins
might work.    Starting a gen set at 3 AM... in the middle of  winter... in the
middle of a wind storm  is  no fun either...esp if it doesn't start.

IF the  local forecast  is predicting 'high  winds  after midnight, 110 kmh'
 then at least I have some advance notice... and  either don't crank it up,
or only crank it up   part way,  etc.

What does everybody else do ??     This  install will have  a lot of weight on
top.. and  4 x ants, and  2" OD  x  3/8"  chromolly mast.

Later.... Jim   VE7RF