Re: [TowerTalk] V beam leg lengths

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] V beam leg lengths
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:43:20 -0500
KP7UC wrote:"I dont understand what your design of the "enclosed angle ...is
about 30-35 degrees ...for a correct apex angle.." means?"The legs of a Vee are
long wires. Long wires antennas have the radiation lobes at an angle with
respect to the wire that depends on how many wavelenghts long the wire is. The
longer the wire the smaller the angle between the main lobes and the antenna
wire. You can see the graph angle versus wavelenghts and gain in the Long Wire
and Traveling Wave Antennas chapter of most editions of the ARRL Antenna Book.
That information is good for long wires, vees and rhombics  as well. The
included angle of the vee must be twice this angle so the main lobes of both
legs are aligned on the center of the vee for best pattern and gain. The lenght
in wavelenghts varies with the frequency so does the lobe angle,  you must
determine your apex angle depending on the frequency range and the band you
want to favor the most among other things.The value of 30-35 deg
 rees is an optimum apex angle for a Vee or a rhombic if the legs are 8 - 9
wavelenghts long, if am not wrong.73David  HK1AEC5KXAex-HK1KXA

David
HK1A
EC5KXA
ex-HK1KXA