Re: [TowerTalk] TH6 dissimilar metals query

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TH6 dissimilar metals query
From: Bob Alexander <realex@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:03:43 -0500
Barry Fox wrote:
> In the process of rebuilding a TH6 I broke the aluminum clip which shorts
> the Beta match wires to the boom.  I can make a replacement from copper,
> but wonder if that is a good idea.  A stainless steel screw will hold the
> copper clip to the aluminum boom and the copper clip will be wrapped around
> and bolted to the aluminum Beta match wires and fastened with a stainless
> steel nut and bolt.
> Will all these dissimilar metal junctions cause any problems?  I do not
> own an amplifier, so the most RF it will see is 100 watts, minus feed line
> loss.
> Thanks for any opinions,
> Barry - W1HFN

Howdy,
The U- shaped aluminum wire that forms the end of the beta "coil" does
not have to be grounded to the boom.
The end is an electrically neutral point and the ground serves only as a
mechanical support.

If you feel you need the ground, make it out of copper and tin it with
solder.  The solder is a closer match
to the aluminum boom than bare copper.  That will solve any dissimilar
metal issues.

73, Bob, W5AH